Part 13. What are The Main Messages of the Bible?
The Bible addresses many basic issues of life and death, of the present and the future, and so it is difficult to select just one theme as the main one. Students of the Bible have generally grouped the leading topics treated in the Bible under two main heads. Let’s look briefly at both of them!
The first school suggests that the main message of the Bible is the wonderful presentation of salvation. The good news of salvation in Jesus Christ is the fundamental message of the Scripture. Under this head there are many basic truths:
- God created a majestic universe and crowned it by forming the first man and woman in sinless perfection.
- Adam and Eve gave in to temptation from Satan, and fell into sin and shame. The results of sin are so clear, but people everywhere rebel against and reject God.
- But God did not abandon humanity on its way to destruction. He chose one people (Israel) to demonstrate His special love and care, and from them He provided a Saviour for the whole world.
- God sent His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to bear the awesome consequences of OUR sin. God does not just casually disregard sin . . . He poured out all the terror of eternal condemnation on His precious Son in those terrible hours of suffering and death on the cross.
- In the resurrection of Jesus, God demonstrates His victory over sin and calls people everywhere to identify with this victory by faith in Jesus Christ.
- As we live in the victory of salvation in Jesus, we know that life is NOT meaningless, because we are surrounded by God’s awesome love, and bound for eternity with Him.
The Second School of thought views the Main Message of the Bible from a much different perspective! There are some who agree that salvation is very important, but it is only part of a much greater message. That bigger message goes far beyond the man-centered focus of salvation to embrace the purpose of all time and space. We may call this message The Revelation of God’s Plan and Purpose for the Universe. Under this head there are also many basic truths:
- God in His active and creative spirit resolved to create the universe and delight in it.
- But, God is not the sole motivating being. There is also a rebellious and fallen being named Satan who opposes God and His plan. He deceives and undermines God’s purpose anywhere and everywhere that he can.
- This conflict has marked all history and results in two kingdoms. Satan is the cause of ALL disorder and ALL that is bizarre and sinister. Quarreling and dissension among God’s people is often his most horrid device.
- In sending His Son Jesus Christ, God established the important time in this conflict. In His servanthood, Jesus was the complete opposite of all the pomp, pride, greed and egoism that Satan promotes.
- In Christ’s death, Satan declared victory over God, BUT the resurrection turned that seeming victory into actual defeat.
- Yes, Satan still prowls the world, but he knows that he cannot win. God’s people are now messengers of God’s present and coming kingdom.
- Eventually evil will so captivate and enslave humanity that the climactic end time of history will arrive. When Christ finally returns to the Earth as the Victor, God’s Kingdom shall be established for all eternity. The purpose of God’s Creation and His universal plan shall be achieved. Satan, The Antichrist and The False Prophet will spend Eternity in a Lake of Fire with all unbelievers! There is NO ESCAPE!